What We Do
Offering Shelter & Hope
Originally formed in 1977, Safe Harbor began as a volunteer phone service providing information to women. Soon it was evident the community needed more than just a source of information, especially for people in need of shelter in a crisis situation.
Today Safe Harbor serves adults and children by providing shelter and resources for making positive life choices. Our mission is to empower individuals in abusive situations by providing advocacy and support services; to educate and motivate the community to be proactive in eliminating abuse.
Our Service Area
While we are based in Aberdeen, South Dakota, we serve seven counties in northeastern South Dakota including Brown, Campbell, Day, Edmunds, Marshall, McPherson and Potter.
Sexual and Domestic Assault Victim Services
We help victims in northeast South Dakota navigate a traumatic sexual assault or domestic abuse experience through a number of services and resources.
- Emergency Shelter - located in Aberdeen, South Dakota, our shelter provides a safe place for adults and children. Regardless of when you leave your abuser, our shelter is staffed 24/7/365 for any emergency situations.
- Protection Orders – this legal tool is invaluable in protecting victims and their children but it can be an overwhelming process and our advocates are trained to take the confusion and stress out of the necessary paperwork.
- Accompaniment – our advocates provide support at health appointments or legal hearings to not only answer questions but to encourage victims for pursuing a better life for themselves and their children.
- Safety Planning – we work with domestic abuse victims to establish a safe exit plan for themselves and their children. Our experience provides insight to help victims secure important needed items while protecting their safety.
- Support Group - Victims of domestic abuse and sexual assault are not alone. We offer a confidential group support to give victims the opportunity to learn and grow with others in similar, difficult situations.
Your Support Impacts Victims
Our nonprofit organization is funded through grants and donations. If you’d like to learn more about our organization or how you can help, please contact us.