Safe Harbor is seeking a number of part-time Shelter Advocates to provide high quality performance in the day-to-day operation of the Safe Harbor Shelter. This position is aimed at staffing the shelter 24/7 so hours will be during the nights and weekends.
- Experience in a human service field preferred
- Sensitivity to issues of family violence, sexual assault, child abuse and neglect
- Sensitivity and awareness of issues related to diversity
- Experience working with adolescents and children preferred
- Ability to empower individuals in a time of need
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience with computers and technology
- Ability to work in complex situations and manage multiple tasks and crisis situations
- Ability to act as a member of a team
Duties, Responsibilities & Expectations
- Provide advocacy, case management, and resource and referral services for clients as needed.
- Assure the needs of shelter clients are being met, such as food and personal items.
- Enforce all shelter policies and procedures to ensure safety, security, and confidentiality for clients.
- Perform duties in shelter as assigned by Shelter Coordinator.
- Answer 24 hours crisis line in a professional and timely manner.
- Recognize and deal with crisis situations in a calm manner.
- Exercise appropriate decision-making in regard to shelter services, priorities and clients.
- Promote positive public image of Safe Harbor and the Safe Harbor Shelter.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Shelter Coordinator or Executive Director.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures as set forth by Safe Harbor.